Fit for your dream-beau, best friend or secret crush; these Valentine Biscuits are enough to make any heart melt. They’re taken from Good Housekeeping’s Biscuits and Cookies (1955); a pictorial booklet containing super-sweet recipes, playful illustrations and good advice…’you will never lack something to offer the casual visitor if you keep a stock of delicious home-made biscuits…’ . We couldn’t agree more.
- 6oz plain flour
- A pinch of salt
- 3oz margarine
- 3oz caster sugar
- 1 egg
- A few drops of vanilla essence
- Milk to mix
- Sieve the flour and salt
- Cream the fat and sugar, and when light and fluffy, beat in the egg
- Add essence, stir in flour and mix to a stiff paste with milk
- Roll the dough out 1/8 thick on a lightly floured board, prick, and then using fancy cutters, shape into biscuits and put on a greased baking tin
- Bake in a moderately hot oven for 10-15 minutes, til golden (these quantities make about 24 biscuits)
- Coat shapes with royal icing, and when hard, paint on simple designs in edible colouring
The biscuit base can be whipped up in no time, perfect for a last minute bake-off. If time’s on your side, get experimental with coloured icing, silver balls or hundreds and thousands.
Pop hearts into a cute box, tie with a ribbon and… deliver to your Valentine!